4.13.2011

On the Menu Today... Pickled Veggies!



I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog for what seems like forevs, and today, I'm finally diving in!  It seems as perfect a time as any during this spring day in Chicago (that actually feels like spring!) and I found myself craving the pickled carrots from Birchwood Kitchen.  In the mood for trying something new, I thought to myself, why don't I make my own and blog about it?


I was lucky enough to visit Birchwood Kitchen during a recent visit from the parents this past weekend and we couldn't get enough - it's our new favorite neighborhood spot when they visit me in the city.  We got a communal serving of carrots for the table and when it came time to leave, there was still one lonely carrot left.  "How can you think about leaving when there's still a pickled carrot on the table?" I asked, right before said carrot found a home in my mouth.  

Today, I'm finding myself wishing there was still a dish of carrots on the table for me to snack on.  I also recently worked for a sandwich shop that sold seasonal pickled veggies, which has made me crave them for months on end.  So, to put an end to my craving once and for all (well, at least for this week), I found this recipe for Pickled Carrot Sticks. (I used some celery too, cuz it's what I had handy) It's from one of my favorite bloggers, Smitten Kitchen.  The recipe is uber easy complete with lots of photos - and luckily, I had all the ingredients already in my pantry/fridge.  Too bad the carrots have to sit in the brine/pickling liquid for 24 hours to reach their full flavor potential... ;(


Get Pickled already!

While I wait for tomorrow to come, check out some of the things I like to peruse while waiting for carrots to get pickled!


They sell co-op hot sauce!  My fav!

Can't get enough of their bread-pudding pancakes & mix!

When I grow up, I want to be Natalie Slater.

She taught me how to sew and her clothing inspires (and, partially, fills up) my closet.

For a while, I worked at a shop that sold Fritz Pastries and let me tell you... 
Their chocolate croissants = to.die.for.





No comments:

Post a Comment